Interdisciplinary Graduate Education Program (IGEP) Fellow
- Water INTERface : An Interdisciplinary Graduate Education Program United by the Central Focus of “Water for Health.” <Aug. 2017 – July 2018>
- NSF Research Experience for Teachers (Water ECubeG): Energy Recovery from Wastewater via Microbial Fuel Cell 3D Printed Platform <June – July 2018>
->Program Director: Dr. Vinod K. Lohani->Mentee: Ms. Maria Sherman (AP Chemistry Teacher), Hidden Valley High School->The specific objectives of this RET project are to:(1) Create a viable MFC using 3D printing technology;(2) Measure maximum voltage output;(3) Quantify current and Coulombic efficiency.
- NSF Research Experience for Teachers (Water ECubeG): Enhancing Wastewater Reuse by Using Osmotic Membrane Photobioreactor (OMPBR) <June – July 2017>
->Program Director: Dr. Vinod K. Lohani->Mentee: Ms. Carla Corvin (Science Teacher), Christiansburg High School->The specific objectives of this RET project are to:(1) maximize water recovery performance in OMPBR;(2) mitigate nutrient buildup in the feed solution via algae assimilation;(3) develop an effective way to control biofouling;(4) quantify energy consumption and monitor algae growth.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
- CEE 4174: Solid & Hazardous Waste Management <Aug. – Dec. 2016>
->Instructor: Dr. Zhiwu (Drew) Wang->Responsibility: Grading homework, advising students on questions
Graduate Research Assistant
- NSF #1358145: GOALI: Advancing Membrane Bioelectrochemical Reactors For Domestic Wastewater Treatment <Aug. 2015 – May 2017>
->Principle Investigator: Dr. Zhen (Jason) He->The specific objectives of this GOALI project are:(1) to understand the interaction between fouling-control methods and energy production/consumption in the MBER system;(2) to investigate nitrogen removal in the two MBERs with different membrane installations;
(3) to functionally scale up the MBERs system to a transitional stage.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
- Characterization and Optimization of Three Aerobic Strains of Phosphorus Accumulating Organisms (PAOs) <Dec. 2010 – Apr. 2011>
->Principle Investigator: Dr. Jinren Ni->The specific objectives of this project are:(1) to screen out three strains of PAOs;(2) to investigate multiple growth factors, such as pH, temperature, and initial substrate concentration;(3) to optimize the phosphorus removal performance.